Shakespeare and Company
Following George Whitman’s death on December 14, a friend and I stopped by Shakespeare and Company today to pay homage to the owner of the legendary Left Bank English-language bookstore.
With the help of the conservator’s office, we located Whitman’s grave near the edge of division 73 (see map below).
Awaiting what promises to be some interesting funerary art, today we found a marble plaque with his name, date of birth and death, some flowers and a Penguin edition of The Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitzgerald marking his grave.
Check back soon for updates.
- A Weed in My Flower Garden: Remembering George Whitman of Shakespeare and Company by James Gregor
- George Whitman, Paris Bookseller and Cultural Beacon, Is Dead at 98 (New York Times)
- American dean of Paris literary scene dies at 98 (Reuters)
- A Letter to George Whitman by Guillermom Martínez de Velasco
- Shakespeare and Company: Turning the page by Kate McBride